Professor of Mathematics
Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring.
Research and Writing in Numerical and Applied Analysis and Optimization, Optimal Control, Astrodynamics, History and Philosophy of Mathematics.
Industry Consultant for Aerospace, Railroad and other industries using my Technical Research Areas, Filtering and Scientific Computing.
PhD in Mathematics, Colorado State University
MA in Cross-Cultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary
MA in Mathematics, Arizona State University
BS in Mathematics and Religion, Grand Canyon University
Office: Physics/Math 224
Office Hours:Sabbatical leave for academic year 2013-14
Courses.:updated:. October 21st, 2013
- Sabbatical leave for academic year 2013-14
Research Interests.:updated:. October 21st, 2013
Numerical and Applied Analysis and Optimization, Optimal Control, Astrodynamics. History, Philosophy and Theology of Mathematics.
Publications.:updated:. October 21st, 2013
Selected Technical Papers
- An Adjoint Jump Shooting Method for Parametric Low Thrust Orbit Transfer Problems with Eclipsing, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Astrodynamics Tools and Techniques (WPP-308) , May 3-6, 2010, ESAC, Madrid, Spain.
More than twenty-two technical reports in trajectory optimization and reconstruction, nonlinear programming and sensitivity analysis, O.D.E, astrodynamics, automatic differentiation, and data filtering, 1993-2010.
- Numerical Continuation and Singularity Detection Techniques in Parametric Nonlinear Programming, SIAM J. Optim. (3), February 1993, pp. 134-154.
- Variable Order Adams-Bashforth Predictors with Error-Stepsize Control for Continuation Methods, SIAM J. Sci. and Statist. Computing, (12), May 1991, pp. 695-723.
- Smooth Penalty Functions and Continuation Methods for Constrained Optimization, Computational Solution of Systems of Nonlinear Equations, ed. by E.L. Allgower and K. Georg, AMS, Providence, RI, 1990, pp. 389-412.
- Numerical Optimal Control Via Smooth Penalty Functions, Computation and Control, K. Bowers and J. Lund, eds., Birkhauser, Boston, 1989, pp. 105-115.
- Bifurcations and Sensitivity in Parametric Nonlinear Programming, Proceedings of the Third Air Force/NASA Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, October 1, 1990.
Selected Papers on Mathematics Teaching and Philosophy
- Hans Jonas on Technology, Mathematics and Human Nature. Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. XXV(1/2): 67-88. To appear 11/2013.
- In Search of a Theology of Mathematics. Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. XXIII(1/2): 165-186. 9/2011
- Conflicts and Confederacies between Mathematics and Christianity, CIAS Newsletter, Vol. V, Issue 1, Fall 2005. pp. 6-7.
- Social Sources for Renewal in Academic Mathematics, The UMAP Journal 19.3: 337-346, Fall 1998.
- Modeling Collaboration, Proceedings of the 3rd Biennial Symposium on Mathematical Modeling in the Undergraduate Curriculum, La Crosse, Wisconsin, June 12-14, 1998.
Published Book Review (See also Amazon Reviews)
- Misa, Thomas J. 2011. Leonardo to the Internet: Technology and Culture From the Renaissance to the Present. 2nd ed. in the Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. XXVI(1/2): 200-2. October 2012.
- "Tegmark's Embarrassment: Probability in Fine-Tuning and Multiverse Proposals," MAA Rocky Mountain Section 2013 Meeting at Adams State University, April 26-27, 2013.
- "Numerical Continuation Methods for Nonlinear Programming Problems," and "Numerical Continuation in Nonlinear Parametric Programming," Minisemester on Parametric and Shape Optimization, Banach International Mathematical Center, Warsaw, Poland, March 8-16, 1993. (Invited)
- "Who is the Queen of the Sciences? In Search of a Theology of Mathematics," Institute for Interdisciplinary Research/JIS Symposium: The Idea of a University: From John Henry Newman to the Multiversity and Beyond, Pasadena, CA, August 5-8, 2010.
- "Mathematics and Human Nature: Some Reflections Based on the Work of Hans Jonas," ISN (Institute for the Study of Nature) Summer Conference: Hans Jonas and the Rediscovery of Nature, MIT, Boston, Mass., June 14-15, 2008.
- "The Virtues of Euler: Ethical Foundations for Mathematics," ISN Summer Conference: The Nature of Nature, University of Illinois, June 13-14, 2007.
- Habits of Happiness for Leading Learners, NeXT Fellow Joint Meeting Seminar, Joint Mathematics Meeting, San Diego, January 5-8, 2008. Invited.
- Conflicts and Confederacies between Mathematics and Christianity, Canyon Institute for Advanced Studies/Arizona Forum for Science and Religion Invited Lecture Series, March 25, 2004. Invited.
Other Activities.:updated:. October 21st, 2013
Singing, Backpacking and Hiking (John Muir Trail 2011),
Road Biking: Across the US June 1973, Double-century May 2012, 206 mile "31st LOTOJA Classic" September 2013,
Faculty Sponsor for Catholic Student Organization (CCM)